Review : Ripper - Isabel Allende

Review: Ripper - Isabel Allende - January 2014
With this book , I didn't exactly know what to expect except for the fact that I had read a couple of the author's previous works before and enjoyed them - Daughter of Fortune and Paula ( which I had to read due to being my name) . At first when I saw the title "Ripper" , I had a thought that it might have been a book based on Jack The Ripper or a copycat murder - though I was leaning to more about Jack The Ripper since her two books I had read were set in historical times. Turns out though, I was completely off-base as I started reading the book and it was set in today's time and Ripper was in fact the name of a online RPG where they discussed a various number of different murders and cold cases - sort of like an online Murders Club. Ripper is set around mainly a mother Indiana and her daughter Amanda. Indiana is a massage therapist -who has an ex-husband who is the chief of Police , a best friend who is ex-military - Ryan , an friend with benefits - Allan and a stalker patient. Amanda - has her online friends and her Grandfather Blake - she spends most of her time reading murder cases and playing the online game. This book flips between the characters and their storylines and eventually all merges together and interweaves. At first, I got into the book as I liked the different murder cases but as it went on - in places it seemed to drag and then I have to admit I did not see the entire ending coming. One of the things I did enjoy about Ripper was that it was set in San Francisco and after being there in December 2013 , the book felt more real as I knew the places they were talking about and I could visualise it. If you love family sagas and mysteries, then Ripper by Isabel Allende is the read for you.

Comments
Post a Comment