Review: All The Lies They Told - Robin Mahle


Review: All The Lies They Told - Robin Mahle - August 2025
There's a particular kind of dread that comes from watching two families you already suspect are hiding something. Robin Mahle taps straight into it in All The Lies They Told, and I devoured every page.
I'll admit I came into this one with high expectations. I've toured several of Robin Mahle's thrillers now through Zooloos Book Tours , and she's never once let me down but this book, loosely inspired by the real-life Delphi case, felt like it demanded even more from her, and she delivered.
The setup is deceptively simple: Lexi Brewer and Skye Metcalf were once inseparable, the kind of friends who walked home from school together sharing secrets like currency. Now they barely speak. Their families barely speak. And then, on one ordinary evening, both girls simply don't come home.
What follows isn't just a missing-persons investigation, it's an excavation. Robin Mahle peels back layer after layer of a small Idaho town's polite surface to expose the resentment, guilt, and old betrayals festering underneath. The genius of this book is how quickly the story pivots from "who took these girls" to "what did their parents do to each other," because it turns out those two questions might be the same question wearing different faces.
Every parent in this book has secrets. Every parent has motive to obscure the truth, whether or not it has anything to do with the girls' disappearance. You start suspecting people not because the narrative points a neon arrow at them, but because Robin Mahle lets you sit in the same suspicion the town does and that ambiguity is what kept me up far later than I intended.
The pacing is relentless once the search begins. Short chapters, shifting perspectives, and a slow reveal of exactly what binds these two families together made this an impossible book to put down. And the ending I won't spoil it, but it re-contextualizes nearly everything that came before it.
If you're a fan of small-town thrillers where the real villain might be denial itself, this one belongs on your list.
Amazon: https://amzn.to/4wqthac

Comments
Post a Comment