VBT# You'll Be Sorry - Liz Alterman








#VBT - Review: You'll Be Sorry - Liz Alterman - August 2026

Pour yourself something cold, pull up a chair, because I need to talk to you about this one.

I picked up You'll Be Sorry the way I pick up most revenge stories with a little thrill in my stomach and a promise to myself that I'd only read "just one chapter" before bed. We all know how that promise usually goes.

Amelia Montgomery is turning forty, and instead of candles and cake on her mind, she's flipping through a magazine when Ethan Blackmore's face stops her cold. Ethan:  the man who broke her, humiliated her, and then had the audacity to build a whole shiny new life while she picked up the pieces of the old one. You know the type. Maybe you've even had your own Ethan.

I loved the idea of Amelia. A woman who clawed her way back from heartbreak and built something real,  a business, a self, a whole second life is exactly the kind of protagonist I want to root for at my kitchen table with a cup of tea going cold beside me. There's something deeply satisfying about watching a woman decide, in her own time, that she's done being the punchline of someone else's story.

And that birthday wish? Revenge. Not subtlety, not closure, not a polite letter of feelings finally expressed just good, old-fashioned, deliciously plotted payback. There's a comfort in a book that knows exactly what it wants to be.

Here's my honest, cards-on-the-table feeling, though: this one landed in that in-between space for me. It's not a book I regret spending time with there were evenings I curled up and genuinely enjoyed being pulled along but it's also not one I'll be pressing into a friend's hands insisting she drop everything and read it. The bones are good. The satisfaction of watching Amelia reclaim her power is there. But some of the pacing and predictability kept me from fully losing myself in it the way I wanted to.

So where does that leave us? Honestly  take it or leave it. If you're in a season where you want a story about a woman finally getting hers, and you don't need every twist to surprise you, this could be a cozy, satisfying weekend read. If you're pickier about your revenge thrillers having real bite, you might find yourself wanting a little more heat under the surface.

Either way, I'll leave you with the only thought that really matters here:

Revenge is a dish best served now.

Amazon: https://link.amazon/B0clFxcO4




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Snakes and Ladders - Sean Slater

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent