Review: The Torrents - Kylie Robinson
Review: The Torrents - A Memoir - Kylie Robinson - 2014
This book I have had on my Ipad for over a year now and the other day I was searching for something to read and somehow I clicked on "The Torrents" . The cover attracted me and then when I saw that it was a memoir - I was about to start something else as I wasn't really in the mood for a non-fiction book. However, I thought I would give it a go, and I started reading it and I was immediately drawn in by the prologue - which was current time.The next chapter started back three years ago when the characters known as Kylie and Toren met each other for the first time. This book is written like a fiction novel and at the beginning of the book , there is a note to say it is a fictionalised memoir. I definitely have to say, that if you are not one for heavy reading and edgy content - then this is not the book for you. When I think of the word Torrents, I think of turbulent waves - choppy and chaotic and for Kylie and Toren - life was definitely this way, which made me feel for both characters quite strongly. The two come from Mormon backgrounds and they have a Summer fling , the following year Kylie goes off to college and Toren goes off on a church mission. During the time they are apart, Kylie starts remembering some memories of sexual abuse that she had repressed and danger and tragedy awaits Toren during his mission. A few years pass, and Toren contacts Kylie. The two get back in touch, but they are far from the people they were when they first met - the light from their eyes has extinguished and they are both shells of each other. They turn to each other as lifeboats, and with plenty of umming and aahing decide reluctantly to get married. This though will send their relationship spiralling downwards into a never ending spin and one that could end in the death of both of them as they both discover that due to their pasts , they are as damaged as each other and being together isn't helping them. As Mormons do not believe in divorce, the pair try only to further their pain and wanting not to exist. After many trials and tribulations, the pair must be strong enough to part ways otherwise this relationship will cause them only more pain and anguish , more than anyone should ever have to carry.
This book is one that you will not want to put down , it is a book that will have you developing tears , it is a book that you will want to digest and may leave you with a heavy heart as you read the story of Kylie and Toren.



Comments
Post a Comment