VBT# The Family Lies - Lorna Henderson



VBT# The Family Lies - Lorna Henderson - July 2026
There's a particular kind of ache that comes with childhood memories you can never quite trust again, and Lorna Henderson taps straight into it with The Family Lies. I went in expecting a straightforward family drama and came out with my heart in my throat and my loyalties in the wrong place entirely but more on that later.
The story opens with a memory that colours everything after it: fourteen-year-old Suzie and her cousin Rachel on holiday in Canada with Aunt Linda, in what turns out to be their final day together. A car accident takes Linda and Rachel, and Suzie carries that loss for thirty years, never imagining she'll ever learn what really happened.
Then her mother dies, and the past comes crashing back in. A box in the attic. A patient named Nicole who seems to know far more than she should. And cousin Jake, conveniently poised to inherit his father's estate now that Suzie's mother is gone. Lorna Henderson layers these threads with a patient hand, letting suspicion drift from one family member to another.
What I loved most is how quietly this book builds. It's a slowburn in the very best sense, the kind the UK does so well: no shock twist every other chapter, just a steady tightening of tension until you realise how deep the rot actually goes. The reveal about Aunt Linda and Rachel completely blindsided me. I did not see it coming, and I love a book that can still do that.
And then there's the ending. I won't spoil it, but I will say this: I found myself cheering for the killer. That's not something I say lightly, but the victim in this case had it coming, and everyone left standing had earned a shot at happiness after everything they'd survived. It's a rare book that can make you feel that satisfied by an act of violence, and Lorna Henderson pulls it off without it ever feeling cheap.
If you're drawn to stories about new identities, buried family secrets, and the kind of slowburn tension the UK does better than anyone, The Family Lies deserves a spot on your shelf. Lorna Henderson has written something that lingers.
Amazon: https://amzn.to/3TWjo5x
Comments
Post a Comment