Coming Soon : Find Me - Michelle Mankin

Find
Me. Remember Me. Keep Me.
Release date: 1-15-16
Email signup to the Black Cat Records
newsletter to learn how to qualify for an advanced copy of Find Me. http://eepurl.com/Lvgzf
Summary
Almost forty-one-year-old Annabelle Morris,
wife to multi-billionaire record label executive Charles Morris of Zenith
Productions, and mother of two is at a cross roads.
Separated from her husband after walking in
on him having sex in the public restroom of a charity event she was hosting,
she has arrived on the island of St. John alone and rejected, determined to
re-evaluate her life and her marriage. She's tired of being her husband’s
showpiece while he pretends she doesn't exist. She's tired of trying to make
their marriage work for the sake of their two teenage boys.
When she meets Johnny Lightning, a sexy but
mysterious piano-playing, bearded sailor, she is tempted to break vows she has
never before broken. But Johnny is much younger than her and seems to be hiding
more than a few secrets of his own.
From the laid-back sandy beaches of the
Caribbean to the elite circles of Dallas high society, Annabelle is forced to
make critical choices.
Is a chance for happiness worth the risk of
giving up the life she has always known?
Worth jeopardizing her own and possibly
even her children's future?
In the end, will she stay on her present
course or brave a new and uncharted one?
Find
Me, Remember Me, and Keep Me is a full and complete
novel. A standalone Tempest spin-off in three separate parts.
Release date: 1-15-16.
This Preview Can be Found in The Tempest Raging Boxed Set Available Now on Amazon
An exclusive preview of Find Me. A
standalone Tempest spin-off.
Release date: 1-15-16 for all three parts.
FIND me - Part One
Chapter 1
Expression as empty as I felt inside, I
peered out the first class window watching the baggage handlers load the
trolleys while trying to summon the energy to get up out of my plush leather
seat and deplane.
“Mrs. Morris?”
I shifted to look at the uniformed flight
attendant wearing a nervous frown. “Everyone’s already exited. Can I get you
something else?”
“Oh, I’m sorry. I didn’t realize.” I had
gotten lost in my thoughts again, lost inside the trap my life had become. I
retrieved my light blue Gucci duffle from under the seat in front of me. When I
straightened, my mask was back in place. The one that made me appear
indifferent. My preferred pretense since I had walked in on my husband having
sex with his new twenty-something artists and repertoire coordinator in the
women’s bathroom of a charity gala I had been hosting.
Outside on the mobile stairway the bright
sun blinded me, and I teetered on impractical spiked heels that got caught in
the metal slots. Pulling my Bvlgari sunglasses from the tangle of curls piled
atop my head, I took another step, and nearly toppled as my other heel got hung
up, too.
I cursed under my breath, took off my
Louboutin platforms, and went down the stairs barefoot. The sharp metal stung,
but I wasn’t dumb. I could adapt like Charles wanted me to do in our marriage,
though adapting felt more like continuing the denial.
At the bottom of the stairs, I slipped my
now worthless designer shoes back on. No luggage to retrieve I made my way past
the other passengers chatting excitedly about vacation plans around the still
empty carousel.
White passenger vans and yellow taxis were
lined up at the curb. None with my name on it. This wasn’t a planned trip. It
was an escape and re-evaluate my life one. One that the only genuine friend I had
outside the status-seeking social circles of the last fifteen years of my
marriage insisted I needed. Claire had made all the arrangements for me. Claire
was taking care of my boys for me. I didn’t want to think who might be taking
care of my husband in my absence or how they might be doing it. It was hard
enough to get the one visual out of my mind, but I wasn’t naïve. I knew the
coordinator hadn’t been the first. I was just reluctant to tear apart my family
and scared to start over again at almost forty-one.
“Excuse me.” I slid my sunglasses down my
nose and leaned over to speak to the man in the first taxi in the queue.
He set his sandwich down on a paper bag on
the front bench seat and gave me a warm smile. “Yes, Miss? How can I help you?”
A bit of the icy tight knot in my empty stomach thawed.
Thank
you, Claire, I thought, for choosing an English-speaking island.
“I need to get to the ferry terminal
downtown…to St. John.”
“Sure, I’ll take you.” He exited his side
and rounded the front end to open the back door for me. He tried to take my bag
from me but I preferred to hold onto it. It had been so long since I had
traveled alone without Charles, without the boys, without piles of bags. It was
just another shield. Something to hide behind like all the designer flippery
Charles insisted I wear. I would feel more naked and exposed without it than I
already did.
“How far is it?” I asked him as he steered
his weathered land barge around potholes in the asphalt and stray chickens
crossing the road.
“Not far. Fifteen minutes. You should make
the last ferry.”
I hoped so. I stared out the window trying
to relax and appreciate the too turquoise to be real ocean I glimpsed briefly
between breaks in the buildings. But I couldn’t do either. I leaned my head
back against the plastic-covered seat and settled to rest my eyes. I had been
up since four a.m. in order to make the connecting flight in Miami. My Armani
linen dress was wrinkled. My eyes felt gritty, and I was soul-weary tired. I
just wanted to lie down and sleep, preferably for about a week straight.
The cab driver’s estimate had been accurate
and within minutes of being dropped off, I was on board a sun-bleached,
paint-peeling passenger ferry named Speedy. It sat about fifty in tight rows
with barely any leg room. I closed my eyes, tuned out the sounds of the few
other passengers, and lifted my face to the salt spray out the slider window.
Hugging my bag as if it were a life vest and not a cumbersome loadstone
representing the life I was trying to come to terms with, I let the up and down
motion of the boat and the diesel fumes lull me to sleep.
“Miss.” I opened my eyes to the same woman
with coffee-colored skin and warm brown eyes who had taken my fare when I
boarded. “Are you okay? The boat’s about to go back to St. Thomas. Did you want
to stay on?”
“No. I’m getting off here.” I stood face
sticky from the salt spray, and dress more wrinkled than it had been before.
“Thank you for waking me.” Stumbling because of the subtle rocking, high heels
were no more practical on board the boat than they had been on the airplane
stairs, I scooted down the empty row, attempting and failing to smooth my skirt
as I exited.
Out on the dock, I took a quick look
around. The harbor at Cruz Bay was much smaller and less commercial than the
one in Charlotte Amalie on St. Thomas. The downtown started at the waterfront
and crawled up the hill, but it didn’t seem to have any buildings over three
stories. A parking lot lay straight ahead occupied by a few vehicles. Tropical
trees and a few villas crowned green rolling hills in the distance. An open
pink building with a red roof attached to the dock sat on my left. Half a dozen
sailboats and a few motor-craft bobbed on the smooth crystal water on my right.
Teetering on the uneven wooden slats of the
dock, I carefully made my way toward the shore. I frowned when I reached the
loading and unloading zone and didn’t see a waiting car. Claire had promised
that I didn’t need to arrange a pickup. The caretaker of her brother’s villa
was supposed to meet me and then let me use the villa’s jeep to get around
during my stay. Apparently, he lived on the property somewhere out of view of
the main house.
I glanced at the mother of pearl dial on my
Philippe Patek watch, realizing it was later than I thought. Maybe the man had
come and gone already. Afternoon sun beating down on me, I had just moved under
the awning of a nearby jewelry shop when a rusty topless jeep pulled up
alongside the curb.
“Are you Mrs. Morris?” A heavily bearded
man wearing a Quiet Mon Pub ball cap peered at me through his wraparound
sunglasses. In his late twenties or early thirties, he looked much younger than
I had imagined a caretaker to be.
I nodded and moved toward the jeep.
“You ready to go?” He dipped his shaded
gaze slowly, sliding it over me. “Or do you need some more time at the jewelry
store so you can find a more expensive watch with bigger diamonds?”
“No, I’m ready.” I frowned at the snidely
spoken comment that implied I was as status conscious and shallow as I probably
appeared to be. It was an unkind remark and unwarranted. He didn’t really know
me. How could he after only one glance? I looked at myself every day in the
mirror and hardly knew who I was anymore.
“You’re late,” he complained. “You’re lucky
I decided to swing back by the dock one more time, especially since the ferry’s
been docked for over a half hour. Still I couldn’t miss you with those designer
sunglasses, that fancy dress, and the sun reflecting off that flashy watch of
yours. Get in.” He gestured with his chin toward the passenger side. Moving my
bag to one arm, I grabbed the handle and yanked, but the door wouldn’t open.
“Probably used to your chauffeur opening
the door for you, huh?” He rolled his eyes. “It usually works better if you
unlock it first, fancy face.” His voice was a low baritone, but the insinuation
was as unpleasant as his lack of manners.
I blew the humidity dampened curls out of
my eyes and did as he suggested. “Why even bother to lock it?” I grumbled once
I was in the seat, twisting around to grab the seatbelt.
“Because hardly anyone ever sits there,” he
answered absently, glancing in the side mirror, looking for traffic and then
pulling away from the curb.
I can
certainly understand why, I thought sarcastically
as I settled into my seat, and he steered the vehicle around the busy shopping
area alongside the dock. Not that he was bad looking from what I could see of
his face underneath his untrimmed beard, thick mustache, and the long layers of
unkempt midnight black hair barely contained by the ball cap. He reminded me of
the way Pierce Brosnan had looked as James Bond in to Die Another Day after he had been captured and tortured for
fourteen months by the North Koreans without the benefit of a hairstylist or a
razor. His lips were particularly interesting, a rich crimson hue that drew my
attention, the bottom one fuller than the top. I felt a warm unexpected stomach
flutter as I stared at them. His mouth flattened into a displeased line seeming
to sense and to disapprove of my interest. “Is there a problem, Mrs. Morris?”
“What? No.” I shook my head. “I’m sorry. I
didn’t mean to be rude. I’m just tired. I zoned out. It’s been a long day.”
He didn’t reply or make any attempt to make
me feel any less awkward. I hugged my overstuffed bag tighter and tried to
swallow back the bitter tears that seemed so near the surface most of the time
lately.
The jeep had a stick shift, and he worked
the gears confidently as we steadily climbed one hill and then another. The
view of the sparkling ocean through the trees was breathtaking. I just wished I
could get out of this jeep and away from him so I could try to relax to really
enjoy it.
“Here we are,” he announced unnecessarily
as he finally pulled the jeep into a driveway and turned off the engine. The
one story villa was a simple structure with white-washed walls and a red tile
roof. It was even more charming in person than it had been in the pictures
Claire had shown me.
“It’s beautiful,” I whispered as I took it
all in, the house and the verdant landscaping. I let myself out of the jeep,
and for a brief moment completely forgot the grumpy man by my side. He murmured
something in a surprised tone, but I didn’t catch the words. I was determined
not to care, refusing to let him ruin the moment for me.
The steady, salty breeze lifted my hair and
refreshed my flagging spirit, bringing with it the sweet fragrance of the
flamboyant tree blossoms. Two of them framed the villa forming a natural
awning, their fiery orange flowers and delicate fern-like leaves kissing the
turquoise shuttered windows that had been left open for cross ventilation. Just
beyond, on the other side, I could hear the siren’s call of the surf. Pink
Bougainvillea and lush tropical foliage embraced the house, making it seem as
though it was a part of and not just an addition to the island’s vibrant
natural landscaping.
“You’re taking excellent care of Mr.
Lawton’s property. I’m sure when he comes back he’ll be grateful to you.”
Claire didn’t talk much about her brother. She only told me that he had built
the house intending to live in it with his bride after they got married, but
that the girl had broken it off with him right before the wedding and ruined
the place for him. He rarely used it anymore but didn’t want to sell it, either.
Claire was unusually tight-lipped about her sibling. I think she only shared
the personal information she did so that I wouldn’t worry about imposing on or
running into him while I was staying at his villa.
The door slamming behind me was the only response
I got to my compliment from Mr. Grumpy. Pebbles crunched beneath his flip-flops
as he crossed the drive. Without glancing at me, he inserted the key into the
lock to open the gated entry into the property. I didn’t understand why he was
being so rude. If he treated everyone who rented the villa the way he had
treated me so far I could certainly understand why the house remained vacant
when most were rented out during high season. I should probably mention his
behavior to Claire at some point. But for now I told myself I wasn’t really
offended by his dismissive manner. I was used to being treated that way. My
husband had ignored me for the better part of our marriage. I had lost the
confidence that I was in any way interesting to the opposite sex with the
exception of my role as my husband’s representative.
The iron gate swung open soundlessly, and I
followed the caretaker inside without being told. An arched breezeway covered
in concrete provided a lovely frame like a postcard for the view of the ocean
on the other side.
“Spectacular. I love you, Claire,” I
whispered. My feet compelled me forward over the rough Saltillo tiles, my eyes
widening as I scanned the seemingly limitless slate of brilliant blue. Without
realizing it, I reverentially kicked off my shoes as if the spot I stood on was
hallowed ground.
“Are you and Claire really good friends,
fancy face?”
“Yes,” I replied without hesitation. “The
best.” I moved toward the water, laying my hands on the railing. It spanned the
length of the villa and kept people from walking off the elevated deck. Pulling
in deep breaths, eyes feasting on the glistening ocean, ears lulled by the
crashing of the waves, I also admitted, “She and my boys are my life. My whole
life. All that gives it purpose. Besides my older brother and younger sister, I
mean.”
I was too tired to notice how sad my words
made me seem. The sun was setting, and my mind was lost in the mesmerizing
orange and pink kaleidoscope of color. I wished I had unpacked my camera. If I
could get the caretaker to give me whatever instructions I needed before he
left, I might have time to take a couple of shots before the light disappeared.
“Sir, do you…” I trailed off, surprised to
find the spot where he had stood just a moment before empty. The jeep in the
driveway was the only witness to my sudden consternation. I retraced my
footsteps back through the entryway. I found the house and jeep keys on top of
a flat rock, a piece of paper with a masculine scrawl of written instructions
about the property beneath them.
“That was weird,” I muttered. He was
strange. Though he physically resembled my favorite secret agent the first time
he had ever appeared on screen sporting a beard, he certainly didn’t have the
suave smooth demeanor to go along with it. He hadn’t even bothered to say
goodnight. I closed the gate and latched it, not wanting to have to deal with
him anymore anyway.
He lived on the property. But how far
away? I suddenly wanted to know the
answer, hoping it was far enough that I wouldn’t run into him again. He didn’t
seem to like me much and after the way he had behaved, the feeling was entirely
mutual. I was sure we could manage to avoid each other if we both put some
effort into the task.
I padded back to the railing at the edge of
the deck and dropped wearily onto my rear on the tile. I would get my Canon out
tomorrow. It needed time to acclimate to the temperature and humidity so the
lens wouldn’t fog up.
I tucked my legs beneath me. I didn’t care
that I was probably getting red tile stains all over the expensive ivory linen
of my dress. I just wanted…needed to decompress.
Hugging my bag to my chest I stared out at
the rolling waves and laid my forehead against one of the iron rails. It felt
cool against my skin. As my thoughts drifted off on a lonely tide, I offered a
prayer that while I was here I could find both the answers and the solace I
sought. The sky turned light pink and then black before the rhythmic crash and
gurgle of the surf eventually soothed the raging maelstrom within my heart.
Comments
Post a Comment