Review : Unmasked - Paul Holes









Review: Unmasked - Paul Holes with Robin Gaby Fisher - April 2022

Wow, it has been a wee while since I had read a proper book, and when I say "proper book", I mean a book that isn't an eBook. Once I stopped working at the library - 2 years ago in April, I tended to move to read more on my e-reader and then became a full e-reader-only reader and my bookshelf got neglected. This year I am trying to make it my goal to read some of my print copies among the eBooks. What better one to start with than Unmasked by Paul Holes? I had heard a little about Paul Holes from his podcast with Billy Jensen - Jensen and Holes where they discussed true crime. Other than that, I did not know a lot about him but after reading Unmasked which is his memoir and journey through his career. I feel like I know him more and wow, what an inspiration and an amazing guy. During his book, I could see myself in him from wanting to better myself, and then when he visited the library and started reading the books and then discovering the EAR case files in the filing cabinet - this was the moment that Paul Holes won me over. I could see early on, that work came first for him and I do feel for his family as it must have been difficult not having their dad present for most of their lives but in terms of his career - he was made for this role. I also must admit, that I now have an older man crush on Paul Holes as for an older guy - he is handsome. Unmasked covers his career and then his search for EAR who then changed the name to EARONS and eventually The Golden State Killer who we all know now as Joseph DeAngelo. When I got up to the part where he met Michelle McNamara, it did make me sad as I recall all the work, she did she too was one of my journalistic idols and sadly she died of an accidental overdose and did not get to witness the final capture of the Golden State Killer. I do also have her book "I'll Be Gone in the Dark" to read and after reading Unmasked, I am excited to read her viewpoints on the case and the journey. Unmasked also covers a few cold cases and other crime scenes and murder cases as we catch glimpses into Paul's career. Reading Unmasked has made me renew my love of true crime podcasts as it's been a while since I have listened to some.  If you love True Crime and Memoirs, then Unmasked by Paul Holes with Robin Gaby Fisher needs to be top of your 2023 reading list.


Amazon: https://amzn.to/3T7iM8K











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid