Review: Spectacle - Angie McCullagh






Spectacle

Review: Spectacle - Angie McCullagh - January 2012

Scrolling through my kindle, I came across Spectacle which is a title I have had for almost ten years waiting to be read. Looking at the cover, I think that it was what drew me to this title as I went into it blind, and also, I have never heard of this author before. I have to admit I was in two minds about this book as we meet Emily and Trix who have been best friends since they were younger and now as they move into their senior year, they are starting to go their separate ways as Trix is into being a goth girl and what people would consider trailer trash and a bit of a skank whereas Emily is wealthy and a good girl. We read this book from both their POVs as they start to drift in different directions with Trix going down the path of smoking, drugs, and hanging out with a bad crowd which leaves her feeling empty, used, and abused especially as she is considered "easy". Emily has caught the sight of hottie Ryan and Ryan wants to be with her but we see Emily is tall and to her, it is a stigma. I have to admit this kept annoying me throughout the book as it was like hello, embrace your height goddammit and get over yourself. I also felt she was constantly belittling her stepmother Melissa who loves her and it was like, I get she's not your real mum but she's trying to be supportive, and guess what - when it comes to the crunch, she is the only mother who will be there for you. I felt Emily was quite a spoiled brat and by the end of the book her "tall stigma" was just a bit too much and overshadowed the whole story and gets a bit repetitive for my liking. If you enjoy coming-of-age stories and high school reads, then you will enjoy Spectacle by Angie McCullagh today.

Amazon https://amzn.to/3KR2AnQ









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid