VBT# Bright Side - Kim Holden




Review: Bright Side - Kim Holden - July 2014

You know how sometimes you read a book and you aren't too sure what to think about it and then as you read it , you are like hmmm ok is this it. That's what I felt with Bright Side by Kim Holden. The thing I loved about this book was that it was written in a diary format which is something you don't see very often in a lot of books now, but when I was younger I was a huge fan of diary format books. The second thing is that maybe I have just read too many death books or Cancer books as it seems that since the release of the movie based on John Green's book "The Fault in Our Stars" , I seem to be seeing more Cancer novels out there. Some Cancer novels have happy endings and others are sad and you think why, did the character go through all this trial and tribulation only to have the ending it did. In Bright Side, the main character Kate is seen as the bright spark of her group despite the tragedies she has had to endure. When a kiss and a bit more happens with her best friend Gus, she runs to stay with an aunty she doesn't really know and tries to start fresh. About halfway through the novel, Kate aka Bright Side discovers she is dying and has Cancer and so she starts to prepare for her own funeral and afterlife. This part reminded me of the movie "PS I Love You" where Gerard Butler's character left letters for Hilary Swank's character after he had died. Readers, if you are wanting a happy go lucky book with a YAY I survived Cancer read then Bright Side is not for you but if you are looking for a realistic Cancer read filled with a rollercoaster of events and emotions, then Bright Side is for you. In a way this book reminded me of a cross between The Fault in Our Stars movie and the new TV Show Chasing Life. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid