Review: Malibu Rising - Taylor Jenkins Reid



 
 
What Should I Consider When Buying a Surf Board?


Malibu Rising

Review: Malibu Rising - Taylor Jenkins Reid - June 2021

I had heard about this book and this author and it has been sitting on my to-read list for a while now and as Carrie Soto is Back was creeping closer, I figured I would read this one now. The book starts by introducing us to Nina Rivera - she is married to Brandon who is a tennis player and currently cheating on her with fellow tennis star Carrie Soto. It is the night of their annual Rivera party, that celebrities from all over and it's a who's who event. Nina isn't in the mood but this party will be the defining moment of her life and will set a ripple effect on her life. Nina is the oldest of her siblings and she has been raising them herself since she was 17 as her mother killed herself and their father - a popular musician has been an absent father. Nina's siblings include Jay, her half-brother Hudson and Kit. During the party though, the family will grow an extra couple of members as we have newcomer Casey Green and Hudson's girlfriend makes an announcement. The book flips back and forth between the date that Mick first meets June - their mother to the present time which is the 1980s. The book was a bit slow-paced in parts and felt slightly disjointed but in the end it all made sense overall was a great family saga and uses the analogy of rising from the ashes with a new beginning which I loved as the ending was very much a poetic justice ending. I also like the crazy snippet we saw of Carrie Soto which makes me excited now to read her story.  I also loved the part that surfing played in this story as I always wished that I could have learned to surf as it looks so much fun and the freedom of the wide-open water, but since I can't I have to watch and read about it instead and live vicariously through this method.

Amazon: https://amzn.to/3PsxTpL







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid