Review: Bred - Ginger Scott


Image result for Great Expectations

Bred

Review: Bred - Ginger Scott - May 2019
We all have our favorite tropes and themes that we love to read. One of mine happens to be renditions of classics/fairytale stories. As soon as I had heard that Ginger Scott had released a new book, I knew I had to read it as I love her books as it is. Then I heard it was a retelling of Great Expectations and that bumped it to the top of my reading list. Bred starts with Lily, who lives with her cousin Alice after her parents passed. Alice has gotten an interview with Elena Alderman's assistant. She takes Lily along with her and Elena is struck by Lily's love of the piano and feels that she can do wonders in grooming Lily. It also isn't just Elena who is fond of Lily but her adoptive son Henry. Though worlds and classes apart, Lily and Henry become close friends, especially once Lily starts attending Henry's school. The pair fall hard and fast but soon Elena is tired of this game between the couple and decides to mess things up, and what Elena wants, she gets even if it means destroying anyone who stands in her way including a relationship with her flesh and blood.  Will Henry and Lily ever get their HEA, or are they destined to be apart forever due to their upbringings and their class status? I have to admit though slower-paced, Bred in the second half of the book had a few twists and turns and surprises that I did not see coming, one, in particular, I was like OMFG, no way and wow. If you loved the classic tale of Dickens Great Expectations, then check out this modern retelling by Ginger Scott today.



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid