Review: Just Another Missing Person - Gillian McAllister








Review: Just Another Missing Person - Gillian McAllister - August 2023

I had some time to read and relax in bed on Saturday night and as I am a one-sitting reader often, I knew this was the perfect chance to read one of my The Book Shoppe Book Boxes. I just didn't know which one to read and so I got my partner to pick a number between 1-5 as I had 6 of them stacked up - but number 6 was my Christmas read one, which is a December read. He picked number 3 which turned out to be Gillian McAllister's Just Another Missing Person. So I made my cup of tea and settled in bed with this thrilling read. The book starts with an incident involving our main female detective DCI Day and her daughter Georgina. The book then jumps to the present time and they are eating at Nandos Chicken when she gets a call about a missing female named Olivia. This brings back memories of a girl she couldn't save and find - a year earlier named Sadie. On the way home, Julia is approached and told to plant evidence and arrest a suspect otherwise the world will know what she did to protect her daughter in the carpark with Zac. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, Julia does this but in the background tries to find out what happened to Olivia. In doing so though, she will find herself uncovering a series of missing women, lies, secrets, and corrupted officials. Can Julia find Olivia and in turn find the truth about what happened to Sadie or will Olivia become just another missing person? I have to admit, I did enjoy this read overall but some parts felt hard to read as some of the POVs were written in different narratives. It was also in part an odd thriller read and left me with the same vibes of uncertainty that None of This Is True by Lisa Jewell as you are like - what did I read and what's happening here as you try as the reader to connect the crazy web of dots. Of course, once readers are over the hump of the book - it does all make sense near the end of the book and you feel a little bit more settled as a reader as questions are answered. I am now looking forward to giving Gillian's book "Wrong Place, Wrong Time" a go.


Amazon: https://amzn.to/3GfulFh








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid