Review: Girl Missing - Dreda Say Mitchell









Review: Girl Missing - Dreda Say Mitchell and Ryan Carter - April 2024

Scrolling through my Kindle looking for something to read, I came across Girl Missing. This worked for me as it was not only a thriller that sounded interesting, but being Black History Month, I do love to spotlight black authors and Dreda Say Mitchell falls into that category. The book which I think is set in the UK as it did have that feeling starts with Gem Casey who is now a successful businesswoman receiving an award when a news alert goes off. There have been remains found at her daughter's old school that look like they have been there a long time. Gem rushes in the hope she might be able to finally get closure as fifteen years ago when her daughter was eight years old she was kidnapped alongside Abby Prentice but only Abby came home. Sara-Jane was never seen again. As the book moves along, Gem starts to receive a few items in the mail anonymously that belonged to Sara-Jane on the last day that Gem saw her. Is someone teasing her and where is Sara-Jane? The bones turn out to be someone else's but still connected and a huge conspiracy at the school is uncovered and secrets people have been trying to hide for fifteen years are coming to the surface. Is Sara-Jane alive? Will Gem get closure? In one way I did enjoy the twist at the end but at the same time was disappointed when the truth about Sara-Jane was revealed as I would assume even if I vanished, my parents would still have some idea what I would look like as an adult - well you would hope. Due to the ending, the rating for me has been rolled down to 4 stars as readers of my reviews will know that I am a real "ending" type of girl and for me, an ending can make or break the story.  In saying that, I am interested to read any other mysteries that Dreda Say Mitchell and Ryan Carter release as I did enjoy this book as missing children is one of my favourite thriller tropes without sounding like a weird creepy reader.

Goodreads - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/183132214-girl-missing










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid