Review: Perfectly Thin - Margaret McHeyzer






Perfectly Thin

Review: Perfectly Thin - Margaret McHeyzer - October 2020

If you are looking for an edgy read then Perfectly Thin is the read for you. This book hits the spot with body dysmorphia and how they aim to lose weight can spiral from looking good to become the most dangerous thing in the world. Our main character Jane was always the DUFF of her friendship - the Designated Ugly Fat Friend. Until she decided that she was going to lose weight as if she was thin then people would love her, they would not call her fat or make fun of her. It started with her eating tiny amounts and losing a bit of weight and people commenting how good she looked and then she started a mixture of counting calories and exercising to burn off those calories. Every time she lost weight, people would comment on how great she was and it gave her that boost of happiness until it got to the point of no return. You could tell she had hit her breaking point when she started fainting and then believing that people were missing with the scales as she believed herself to be 100 pounds heavier than what she was. We read as Jane ends up in treatment and discover her nearly on her death-bed. This book makes you think as to how dangerous dieting and how easy it is to cross the line of eating disorders as for myself I started chucking out half my lunch etc from the age of 11-12 and then right up to college I stopped taking lunch and then started watching how much I would eat and it got to the fact at 18 to my mid 20's where I was sitting at 45kg and now at 33, I am at my heaviest at 60kg - I don't starve myself but I still find myself occasionally watching how much I eat and limiting myself as I have this niggly feeling in the back of my mind that I don't want to get bigger than what I am now as there are plenty of days when I look at myself and feel so fat and it crosses my mind that I really should stop eating and lose weight or check out diet pills or drink lots of liquid to stop the need for food.  I never did let myself get to the level that this character was but I have seen others reach this level.

Amazon Link :
https://amzn.to/35p47gO









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid