Guest Post : How to Sell at a Convention



How to sell at a convention
By: Elizabeth J. Kolodziej

Conventions are a funny beast. You are in a room surrounded by either hundreds or sometimes thousands of people. To your left and right you see a table filled with people you are competing with. Not to say that it is a race to see who can finish first, but...
You’re contending for the attention of the next person that walks by your path.
What I believe to be the first and most common mistake of a sales person, (and yes, you are a sales person at this moment), is that the person stays behind the table.
Imagine being behind the table and reaching outward to shake hands with the stranger coming towards you. It’s difficult. More than that, you have a chance of knocking over all your products. (Book being the product you are selling).
            What you want to do first is get out from behind that confining cage called a table and meet and greet the people that are your potential customers! Following this step is the hardest step for an author.
Coming out of your shell.
            Yes, as writers we are normally very introverted creatures. We like to hide behind the typewriter, computer or note pad and keep to ourselves; only to observe those around us doing the greeting and meeting of new people. However, if you want to be able to sell you must be able to speak to strangers. It is the total opposite of what we grew up being told. Which means it can be a hard habit to break. You must however get out of your own way and make this happen.
            When I am at a convention I step out from behind the table and go up to the first potential customer I see. With a big smile I greet them (sometimes shake their hand if it is free) and ask...”
May I tell you about my book?”
            Not everyone is going to say yes, yet most people are nice enough to say “why not” and walk with you over to your table. This is the most important part of sales, even though the next part can rival it. What is the next part?
Making your spiel enticing.
            This is where the elevator speech you have heard so much about comes in to play. You want to be able to inform the person of your story in a short simple way that makes them interested in your book. You can find many places online about writing an elevator speech but I have found this one in particular to be most effective: http://authoru.org/is-your-30-second-book-elevator-pitch-perfect.html
            With an effective elevator speech in place you have now got to get your product (book) into the hands of your client. After your spiel, take the book up from the table and offer it to them to take and look over. You want them to touch the book and have it in their hands. This will give them the impression of sudden ownership, exactly what you want them to feel.
            With the book in hand let them take a moment to look over the book, possibly read a little bit of the first chapter. Never take the book back from them unless they hand it to you. Next, tell them the price of the book and offer them a deal. For Liz DeJesus (my partner in crime) and I, we do a normal price of $12.00 for one book or two for $20.00. Consider the fact that most people when they are at conventions have tens and twenty’s in their wallet. It’s easy to whip it out and hand it over.
            After you offer them the price let there be a moment of silence and remind them...
I’m the author so I could sign the book for you.
(SMILE WIDE!)

            And hopefully you just made a sell! Now keep in mind that this is just the simple two minute version of how to do a sell compared to my hour long panel/workshop on this subject. But this should get you off to a terrific start. Remember the last rule. Never take offense to anyone that doesn’t want your book. Make sure you continue to practice this on many different people. Men and women! No matter if you think your books are only geared towards women, you will be pleasantly surprised how many men will buy a copy. If not for themselves, it could be for their girlfriend, daughter, or wife.
            Before I end this I would like to make one last suggestion. I am currently doing a fundraiser for myself to go to the Steampunk World Fair! I am giving away a handmade zombie doll with every purchase of a Hug A Zombie t-shirt you buy!
Here is my “spiel” (imagine how hard sales is to do over the net. So every little bit of money helps!)
You know what happens when the wolf stops blowing? He doesn't blow the house down! That is what I am talking about here. I'm talking about succeeding at life. And that is what I want to do!  
This project will go toward helping me to go to the Steampunk World Faire in New Jersey on May 16th-18th. What I need is a room and a table to do my vending at. This journey into the steampunk world will help me to move forward with my writing. You want to know what inspires a writer? Life does. And life at the Steampunk World Faire helped me to write a book in a MONTH. Help me again write a book in a month by sending me to the land of steampunk inspiration. 
My Zombiepunk book series helps those that are young see the greatness that is strong female characters and great heroic men. It introduces you into the life of V is for Villains (if their personas were in the 1890's). Take an action filled ride on the steampunk train of life and help me give to you so you can give to me!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid