Review: The Brighton Mermaid - Dorothy Koomson


Image result for Brit Lit

The Brighton Mermaid


Review: The Brighton Mermaid - Dorothy Koomson - May 2018
It's been a while since I read a Dorothy Koomson book, but years ago I went through a phase of her and read everything I could and then her last couple I have struggled with. I decided to give The Brighton Mermaid ago as it sounded like something I would enjoy. It was a twist to the story, I did not see coming, and I was like OMG How and WTF? I also have to admit I was hoping to have a bit more closure with the ending as well, maybe a nice reunion of certain characters as felt like it was pretty much not focused on. The book starts in 1993 where two friends Nell and Jude sneak out and find a dead female body washed up on the shore. The girl is nameless but later more dead bodies start to pile up, and for some reason, the cops are looking at Nell's dad as the main suspect. During this time, Nell's best friend Jude vanishes one evening. Fast forward twenty-five years and the mystery of who The Brighton Mermaid was and who killed those women are still unsolved, and Nell's best friend Jude is still missing. Nell knows it is connected and has taken a year off work to find out who the killer is and whatever happened to Jude as she has never been able to move on. Nell's older sister Macy seems a bit OCD and has severe anxiety problems and has been dating Shane who we discover was Nell's college boyfriend. I have to admit, I never liked the character of Macy as there was something off about her and when we discover it, I'm like really - that's all. She was a show and pony type, drama queen character.  If you love UK stories and British mysteries, then check out The Brighton Mermaid by Dorothy Koomson today.


Goodreads Link :https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/39352835-the-brighton-mermaid





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid