VBT# The Tattered Gloves - J.L Berg



The Tattered Gloves

Review: The Tattered Gloves - J.L Berg - January 2017


I have to start off with saying that I requested this book to read with two things in mind. The first was that I was captivated and intrigued by the cover and the title of the book. The second thing was that I thought it might have been an emotional ugly cry read. I did enjoy this book, but it didn't have the strong emotional ugly cry reaction I had hoped for. This book I would classify as an Edgy YA story and aimed more towards the later teens 16+. It starts off with a young girl named Willow whose mother is a prostitute and Willow is always told to stay out of sight. As she gets older, this is drilled more into her as with this scene sometimes the guys like the younger bodies. We then see Willow being shipped off to live with her Aunt Addy in a small town called Sugar Hill. Willow has never known her mother's side of the family or that they even existed. Willow arrives, and we discover she is wearing a pair of gloves that she never takes off. Right through the book as the reader we speculate why she is wearing them. I have to admit when it was discovered, I felt a little letdown at the reason. The Tattered Gloves is the story of Willow growing and learning to rebuild her life and trust others as now she has people who care about her. The ending we see the final act of her growth, but again, I was a letdown at how quietly the situation in the ending was held as I wanted fireworks, not a sweep under the rug. It was the way that J.L Berg glosses over a lot of the subjects and situations discussed in this book which has made me believe that it would be more suited to those late teens/early adults rather than being placed in the same category as say The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden type story which would be the next level up of The Tattered Gloves. In saying that, though, if you are looking for an Edgy YA story then The Tattered Gloves is the read for you and perfect for those fans of Ellen Hopkins YA Books or The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay.

Image result for The Tattered Gloves JL berg




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid