VBT# As You Lay Sleeping - Katlyn Duncan



As You Lay Sleeping

Review: As You Lay Sleeping - Katlyn Duncan - February 2017

I have to admit when I first saw the cover of the book and the blurb, I wanted to read it as it looked like an amazing suspense story. Even the first chapter had me hooked with the Killer gaining adoption records; this had an amazing start to the story.  The only thing though is that it could have been way better as I felt it had a really strong start and a positive potential to be awesome but it was like along the way it hit a standstill, and the reveal wasn't as big as it could have been. The book starts off with as I said the Killer is receiving closed adoption records, and then we jump over to Cara who we now know is the baby who had been adopted. She seems popular and has good friends and a boyfriend, though her boyfriend it seems has been acting out against her lately and now she is avoiding his calls. In one way I got the sense that Joe had been abusive, but she stayed with him for the reputation. It was like Cara was a social climber/gold digger. I didn't like her character as despite what was happening she seemed so needy, whiny and I wanted to shake her. Cara's boyfriend Joe is found murdered, and now Cara is the main suspect. This annoyed me as the detective didn't look at other options and had a one-mind track to make Cara guilty. We soon discover the identity of the killer and how they are related to Cara's past and the lengths that they will go to to have Cara back in their life. The book did end on a cliffhanger, and whether the author does intend to carry on, she has left it open-ended. In a lot of ways Katlyn Duncan's book As You Lay Sleeping reminded me of the Point Horror / Lois Duncan mystery thrillers that were popular in the late 90's/ early 2000's like I Know What You Did Last Summer. 






Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid