Review: Northanger Abbey - Val McDermid

Rewriting Jane Austen – The Austen Project I | Buried Under Books




Review: Northanger Abbey - The Austen Project Series - Val McDermid - March 2014

This month's reading challenge is to clear my TBR bookshelves and focus on books that have been sitting there for a while. I decided to start by grabbing ones that I know have been there a long time, like this one that has been sitting on my bookshelf for nearly ten years. I wasn't sure how I would find this one as I do love my renditions but didn't know much of the story of Northanger Abbey as it isn't one of Austen's most known works and one people I have heard said is aimed at the younger audience due to the main characters age. The other thing was that Val McDermid is said to be the Queen of Crime and so I wasn't sure how she would transfer her skills to an Austen tale. After reading it, I can surely doth protest that Val McDermid did an amazing job as the book was so easy to follow and read and held my attention. In Northanger Abbey, we first met Cat Morland who has come to Edinburgh to keep the Allens company and at the same time attend the famous Edinburgh book festival. As someone who loves books, I would love to attend a book festival and events like this one as it sounded fantastic. It also reaffirmed my passion to visit the UK and Europe as that's on my bucket list. During Cat's time away from her home, she meets not one but two guys - the more refined Henry Tilney from Northanger Abbey and the brash narcissistic Johnny Thorpe who doesn't take no for an answer and is a liar. Can Cat capture Henry's attention or will Johnny be at her every turn and give Henry the wrong idea? Northanger Abbey is not only a good gothic type novel with great imagination but also a novel that shows people's true colours and sometimes we really cannot judge a book or a person by their cover/nature.
If you love Austen renditions, then check out Northanger Abbey by Val McDermid today and the rest of the Austen Project books.

Amazon: https://amzn.to/3LxHpYY











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid