Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins



Did you enjoy Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins ? Wanting a nice light-hearted read ?
Review: Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins - September 2011
In commeration of Lola's purple wig, I've decided to write this post in purple . Though if I had all the time in the world then this review would be a jumble of colours as that's how I viewed Lola , a bundle of different colours. I loved the character of Lola as she was so free-spirited and dressed the way she wanted :). After reading Anna and the French Kiss and loving that too bits , I just had to get my hands on Lola and the Boy next Door and OMG it was just as amazing :). This novel focuses on Lola , a high school student who loves to dress up, express her individuality and lives with her two gay dads, though as we read the novel we learn that none of them in fact are her "real" dad and that her "dad" Nathan is in fact her "uncle". Over the past few months, Lola meet a hot rocker named Max and she believes he's the one for her but when old neighbours "The Bells" return , it screams trouble for Lola as her first love and broken heart was from Cricket Bell. Does Lola still have feelings for Cricket or has she moved on ? We read as Lola flits between both guys , one as a boyfriend the other as a friend and tries to realise where her heart belongs. The other part that I loved in Lola and the Boy Next Door was the return of Anna and St Clair from Anna and the French Kiss as Lola worked at the same picture theatre and Cricket went to Berkley with St Clair and Anna.
I look forward to reading more of Stephanie Perkins and can't wait to see what else she releases.




Comments

  1. I don't read a lot of contemporary fictions. And I read even less contemporary young adult fiction. I think because this is a common type of book and I just don't know how to pick the good from the ok and from the bad. I hate to say it wasn't really even on my radar until I saw a few glowing reviews for it. I thought I would give it a try and see what all the fuss was about it. I think it made me realize that I need to be more open to anything. I might not like it, but by not giving it a shot, I might miss out on something fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid