Review: Paper Cage - Tom Baragwanath








Review: Paper Cage - Tom Baragwanath - August 2022

I don't normally enjoy a lot of New Zealand fiction as I struggle with it as it sometimes tends to be long-winded and dry, a bit like the UK fiction - slow-paced and too many details. However, with Paper Cage, I found myself getting really into it and I think a lot of that was because I lived in the Wairarapa where the book was set when I was younger and it brought back lots of happy memories. Also growing up, we have lived in the lower-income parts of the neighborhoods and known patched members, so I could relate to the story. Paper Cage introduces us to Lorraine who works for the local police as the records clerk which I love as I do a similar job for the council and this sounds right up my alley this job. In this book, young children from lower-income / gang families have gone missing and there are no leads. The police are looking at this as gang turf crimes, but Lorraine knows there has to be more than this and so after she is put on administrative lead - she sets out to do her investigations especially when her grand-nephew Bradley is the latest child to go missing. What will Lorraine find when she learns the truth about the kidnapper? In a way, I understood what the kidnapper's intentions were and he was an Anti-villain. The reveal of his name also made me smile as I had a teacher at Martinborough school and also went to school with a family from Featherston with the same surname.  I am looking forward to seeing what else Tom Baragwanath releases as if it's as good as Paper Cage, it will be added to my reading lists. If you love New Zealand Crime Writers and books set here on our shores, then check out Paper Cage by Tom Baragwanath as you won't be disappointed.


Amazon: https://rb.gy/dww8r






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid