Author Spotlight # Jess .C. Scott - EyeLeash

                                                           EyeLeash: A Blog Novel (teenage memoir, coming of age)

Have you read my review of EyeLeash by Jess .C. Scott - If not head to http://thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com/2010/09/21st-century-novel.html or check out the book trailer at http://thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.com/2010/09/book-trailer-eyeleash-by-jess-scott.html .

Bio

Jess identifies herself as an author/artist/non-conformist. Her literary work has appeared in a diverse range of publications, such as Word Riot, ITCH Magazine, and The Battered Suitcase. She is currently working on the SINS07 series, as well as an urban fantasy project featuring cyberpunk elves. Her novella, The Devilin Fey, hit #1 in Amazon’s “Hot New Releases in Bargain Books” in July 2010.


Website: www.jesscscott.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/jesscscott
Twitter: www.twitter.com/jesscscott

Interview with The Author :

1) Tell us about your book EyeLeash?


Thanks for having me! EyeLeash is my debut novel, a teenage memoir/semi-autobiography/coming-of-age story set in the digital era.

2) What made you decide to write it in a Blog Format?

I wanted it to be "real" (by 'it', I mean the character's whole journey of self-discovery). It started off as a journal type of format, written in a blog type of style, so I decided to settle on the one that suited the technological aspects of the book (updating via iPhone device, etc).

3) What gives you the innovation to write a particular genre?

I usually concentrate on the storyline and characters (whichever is "on my mind" the most). Genre is secondary.

4) Has your characters or writing been inspired by friends/ family?


All the time ;) -- most of my writing is a blend of fact and fiction. It helps that I grew up in Singapore and am currently in the U.S. (and enjoy traveling, more info on "International Influences" in a guest post I wrote @ http://books-love-affair.blogspot.com/2010/08/guestpost-and-giveaway-jess-cscott.html )

5) Did you experience writers block? If so, what did you do to get rid of it?


I bake or exercise. When I work, it's very intense, so writer's block is kind of a cure for burnout, at times.

6) What are you working on now?

An urban fantasy featuring cyberpunk elves (more info @ http://www.elventrilogy.wordpress.com/ ). And another project (maybe a short story collection), but I've got to clear my assignments for the Fall 2010 semester first.

7) What is your favourite scene in your book?

Possibly the excerpt included on the Amazon Kindle description page -- I felt that excerpt captured the tone, content, and essence of the book.

8) Had you previously written anything?

I'd mostly written short stories and poetry, before EyeLeash. I've compiled some of them into a writing portfolio titled Porcelain (available in print + electronic formats).

9) Were there any scenes that were cut in the editing process you wish had made it into the book?


Nope -- I cut whatever is superfluous, and include whatever I feel is necessary. It's one of the joys of being an "independent" artiste.

10) Can you give us one fun fact we might not know about EyeLeash? Something about the story itself or the writing process?

65% of it is real (I'm not saying which parts). Throughout my teenage years, I always opposed the mass media's portrayal of sex as a commodity. Most of my work (so far) is influenced by this feeling I have -- my characters tend to examine their thoughts/feelings on sex, love/romance, and desire, so that sex becomes something meaningful on their own terms (not what society says sex should be / should be like). I get a kick out of navigating the complexities in one's inner life.

11) How did you get into writing? Did you always want to become a writer?

I always did want to become a writer. I decided at age 19 that I would complete my first (real) novel by 21 (I'd participated in NanoWrimo when I was 18 -- using a small portion of that story in my upcoming book).

12) If you were stranded on a desert island, what are three material things you couldn't be without?


a) water bottle b) Swiss army knife c) small tin / something to boil water in

13) What are you reading now?

The Cutting Edge, by Darcia Helle. Women In Love, by D. H. Lawrence. And a bunch of textbooks for schoolwork.

14) Which author has inspired you most and why?

Probably Edgar Allan Poe (if I had to pick just one). I was rather lost and (inwardly) wayward, as a 16-year-old -- Poe's writing really made me realize and remember what it was that I loved so much about the written word.




15) What advice would you give aspiring authors?

Read a lot, write a lot, and keep doing/being your best. I think that goes for anyone with an ambition (not just aspiring authors).


16) As a Quotes Person I always like to ask To finish off, do you have a quote or poem that has stuck with you over the years and what is the story behind it?

I'm a quotes person too! I've listed some on my blog @ http://jesscscott.wordpress.com/2010/06/23/writing-quotes/
But if I had to pick one, maybe it'd be this:
"It’s not about the fall, it’s about how high you bounce right back up." ~ Beyonce
Beyonce's the perfect combination of style, confidence, and ambition. She's a Virgo too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid