Review: Eleanor and Park - Rainbow Rowell



 

Review: Eleanor and Park - Rainbow Rowell  - February 2013

This book is one of those books where it kept coming back to haunt me as I have to say I saw it and ummed and aahed as the cover wasn't really appealing to me and I put it back down, then I read some reviews about it and then I saw the release of Fangirl and I was all like, ok - I am going to read Eleanor and Park. WOW - what an amazing book , I didn't realise what I had been missing out on. The tagline reads "you never forget your first love" which is true and though some of us are lucky to marry our first loves, others aren't but the fact of the matter is that they will always stay and lurk around. In Eleanor and Park we meet Eleanor first as she arrives to a new school , her red hair and fair skin makes her a target for bullying not to mention her masculine dress sense. The only seat on the school bus available is next to Park and soon the two of them become School Bus Buddies - Park starts to leave comics, batteries, walkman and music for her to listen to. It's not till we get to know the real Eleanor as we see why she is this way and I have to say I felt so sad for the character of Eleanor as she has nothing and then it's not like she could tell anyone as it would lead to her family being pulled apart or worse -hurt more than they are already. Over the course of the novel we read from both Eleanor and Park's POV's and watch their friendship grow closer and closer till they are boyfriend and girlfriend. 
Eleanor and Park was really an amazing and powerful story of not only teen romance but of the friendships that one can make with a stranger that can haunt us for years to come.

 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid