Review: Across the Vanishing Sky - Catherine Cowles

Review: Across The Vanishing Sky - Book #1 Starlight Grove - Catherine Cowles - March 2026
I recently received this book as part of a bookstagram birthday group I belong to, and I have to say what a gift. It had been sitting on my wishlist and my want-to-read list for a while, so seeing it show up felt like fate finally giving me a nudge. I didn't know much going in, just that it was a small-town novel with a romantic suspense edge, and honestly, that was the perfect amount of mystery to start with.
The story opens with our main character, Braedyn, hiking with her best friend Nova. They get separated for just a moment and Nova vanishes without a trace. The police chalk it up to a bear attack or the river sweeping her away, but Braedyn knows in her gut that someone took her. My heart broke for her right from those first pages.
Fast forward one year, and Braedyn has packed up her life and her son to move to Starlight Grove, determined to return to the spot where Nova disappeared and find answers the police couldn't. It's there she meets the Archer brothers , men the town tends to avoid because their father was a serial killer. But instead of running from that shadow, the brothers have turned finding missing people into their own quiet mission, and Braedyn asks for their help.
As the story unfolds, we learn just how many women have gone missing from Starlight Grove over the years, and it becomes chillingly clear that someone may be picking up right where Mr. Archer left off. Watching Braedyn and the brothers get closer to the truth, only to realize the killer might be someone they trusted all along, had me glued to every page.
I'll admit it, the reveal of who the killer actually was completely caught me off guard. I love when a book manages to surprise me like that, and this one absolutely delivered. There's something so satisfying about a twist you truly don't see coming, especially in a genre where you think you've learned all the tricks.
Between the small-town atmosphere, the slow-burn suspense, and characters I genuinely cared about, I'm already looking forward to diving into the rest of the Starlight Grove series. If you love romantic suspense with heart and a mystery that keeps you guessing, this one's worth adding to your shelf.



Comments
Post a Comment