Guest Post : Zombies as a Love Interest - Nora Fleischer



Zombies in Love 


I bring to you today a Guest Post from the author of Zombies in Love. I reviewed Zombies in Love back in Early November 2014 on The Phantom Paragrapher and loved it. I contacted the author to see if she would write a guest post on what made her choose Zombies as the love interest over the more common hottie status Supernaturals like Vampires, Werewolves or Shifters and Today reader's we have her answer :


  I've had many people wonder why I decided to write a paranormal romance with a zombie as the male lead.  I really like romances in which the conflict is internal, rather than external-- the hero feels like he doesn't deserve love, and is slowly but surely proved wrong.  The great thing about paranormal romance is that you can make this metaphor concrete.  The hero can say, "I'm a monster," and be totally right.  


            But why zombies?  I've read a lot of paranormal romances with vampires, and werewolves, and so on, and the problem is that at this point the horror and even the revulsion that I once felt at these monsters is totally gone.  If you read enough novels where the hero drinks the heroine's blood, that seems like a totally normal thing to do on a date.  I wanted my readers to take it seriously when my hero, Jack, is feeling repellent and unlovable, which is why Zombies in Love has some intentionally disgusting scenes of Jack eating.
 
            But I also wanted to make clear that he wasn't just a monster.  My other criteria for a good romance is that both hero and heroine must become better people because of each other.  Jack is still a monster at the end of the book, but he's also (I hope) a lovable person who deserves his Happily Ever After.
 
            PS.  Other zombie romances I like include the movies Warm Bodies and Fido (starring the magnificent Carrie-Anne Moss!) and the novels Breathers and The Changed.  


The Link to The Phantom Paragrapher's Review of Zombies in Love can be found @ http://thephantomparagrapher.blogspot.co.nz/2014/11/review-zombies-in-love-nora-fleischer.html


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid