Review: Echo Road - Kendra Elliot and Melinda Leigh







Review: Echo Road - Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliot - July 2024

There are some authors whose books I will pick up without even needing to read the blurb, and Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliot are definitely two of those authors for me. They are both among my favourite female thriller writers, so I was incredibly excited to dive into Echo Road. But what makes this book even more special is that it brings together two characters I already love: Mercy Kilpatrick and Bree Taggert.

And honestly? This pairing was everything I hoped it would be.

Mercy and Bree are both strong, intelligent, and determined women who are not afraid to put themselves in danger when justice is on the line. They also share something deeply personal: both women have found themselves raising their siblings' children after their siblings were murdered. That shared experience gives their connection an extra layer and makes their partnership feel natural rather than forced. These are two kick-ass women who will go to the ends of the earth and straight into danger , if it means finding the truth, catching a killer, and getting justice for those who can no longer speak for themselves.

The story begins when a farmer makes a horrifying discovery: a couple of abandoned suitcases containing human remains. From there, Echo Road takes readers on a tense and twisty investigation as Mercy, Bree, and the team work to uncover the truth behind the murders.

One of the things I found particularly interesting was learning that the storyline was loosely inspired by a true story the authors heard about during a conference. For me, the suitcase discovery also brought back memories of a disturbing case here in New Zealand during the COVID years, when a family purchased the contents of an Auckland storage unit at auction and discovered the bodies of two children inside suitcases. That real-life connection made parts of Echo Road feel even more chilling.

As if investigating the murders was not enough, there is another urgent mystery unfolding. The team is also desperately trying to locate Senator's daughter Paige, who appears to have unknowingly walked straight into a trap. As the danger escalates, it becomes clear that Paige may be the next victim unless they can find her in time.

What I loved most about Echo Road was seeing Mercy and Bree working together. Both characters are capable and fearless in their own ways, and neither takes a back seat. The combination of their personalities, investigative skills, and personal histories made this a really enjoyable read for me.

Melinda Leigh and Kendra Elliot have created a thrilling collaboration filled with danger, murder, suspense, and two seriously strong female leads. If you are already a fan of either author's series, Echo Road is an absolute must-read. And if you love thrillers written by talented female authors featuring strong women, determined investigators, and plenty of twists and danger, then this is definitely a book I recommend adding to your reading list.

For me, Echo Road was a fantastic crossover and exactly what I hoped for when I heard that Mercy Kilpatrick and Bree Taggert were finally joining forces.


Amazon: https://amzn.to/3UeHAAn






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Snakes and Ladders - Sean Slater

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent