Review: Red, White and Sensual - Bec Botefuhr








Review: Red, White and Sensual - Book #1 Red and White Series - Bec Botefuhr - May 2013

Red, White and Sensual by Bec Botefuhr is one of those reads that reminded me why I sometimes love picking up books that were published over ten years ago. I don't know exactly what it is, but the writing from that era often just hits differently for me. Maybe it feels less overdone, or maybe it's because self-publishing was still finding its feet and authors were taking chances and writing the stories they truly wanted to tell. Whatever the reason, these older books often seem to find just the right spots for me.

That's not to say there aren't plenty of amazing books being published today , I have read some incredible five-star books recently but there is something comforting about returning to an author I enjoyed years ago. When this book was originally published, I fell in love with Bec Botefuhr's Phoenix Rockstar series, and since then I've enjoyed several of her other books. Coming back to her writing with Red, White and Sensual felt a little like reconnecting with an old favourite.

Sierra is smart, ambitious and knows what she wants from life. She studies hard, gets good grades, and is thrilled when she wins the opportunity to spend two months working as the Speaker of the House's PA at the White House. It is an incredible opportunity and exactly the kind of experience she has worked towards.

Then she meets Marcus Harrison.

Marcus is her boss, but he's also a dominant and Sierra has already had enough experience with a questionable ex to know that she doesn't necessarily want to go down that road again. However, Marcus is seductive, confident and knows exactly how to get under Sierra's skin. Before long, Sierra finds herself drawn into a relationship that challenges her fears, desires and ability to trust again.

One of the things I really appreciated about this book was that, while it contains plenty of heat and BDSM elements, it isn't simply graphic scene after graphic scene. There is emotion here. There is a storyline. There are characters learning about themselves and each other. For me, that's the difference between something that is purely smut and something that is smut with substance.

The relationship between Sierra and Marcus takes readers on a wild and erotic journey, but underneath all the sensual moments is a story about trust, healing and finding love when past experiences have made opening your heart difficult.

Red, White and Sensual was an enjoyable trip back to an author whose books I remember loving. Sometimes you pick up an older book and realise that perhaps it isn't nostalgia at all , sometimes the writing really does just hit differently.


Goodreads : https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17992769-red-white-and-sensual







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Snakes and Ladders - Sean Slater

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent