Review: The White City - Grace Hitchcock


Review: The White City - Book #1 True Colors Series - Grace Hitchcock - March 2019
This series I have had for a
year now and I keep thinking about it and then, of course, other things pop up
but lately, I had been thinking more about the series and so finally decided to
knuckle down and read the first book "The White City" by Grace
Hitchcock. Each book is featured on a true American crime but written in
a fictional account with a romance storyline weaved into the story. During the
past couple of months, I have been getting into the podcast My Favorite Murder
and the earlier episodes kept mentioning H.H Holmes aka America's first Serial
Killer and how he was known as the Devil in the White City. After finishing
this book by Grace Hitchcock, I went onto the library catalog and have put Erik
Larson's The Devil in the White City on hold to read once the lockdown is over.
This book I wasn't 100% sure how much I would enjoy it as I tend to be a bit
fussy when it comes to historical romances but due to the crime content, I was
so drawn in and found myself enjoying it - even more than I had originally
thought. In The White City, we first meet Winnie who is out at the Chicago
World Fair back in 1893 with a potential suitor when she witnesses a kidnapping.
Winnie's father is the chief of Police and so she heads to the station, of
course, though due to her overactive imagination - her father doubts her a
little. Winnie though determined to find the kidnapper follows her clues along
with her new tail, one of the new detectives Jude. During this time we read as
Winnie ends up getting a job for none other than HH Holmes at his Murder Hotel.
Can Winnie with Jude prove that H.H Holmes is the serial killer that has been
terrorizing the Chicago Streets or will Winnie find herself in the crosshairs
and become his next victim after he suspects that she is too close to
discovering his dark secrets? After finishing The White City and enjoying it so
much, I now am even more excited to read the other books in the True Colors
series.





Comments
Post a Comment