Author Spotlight # James Weinsier

Where Do We Go?: The Good Grief Book                             

In the Author Spotlight today readers, I present to you Author James Weinsier "writer of children's picture book" -Where Do We Go?

For Review - Check out the September Archives List on the right hand side of my Blog near the bottom of the page and click on Book Title.

Short Bio of Author :

Born in New York City in 1945, James Weinsier was raised on Long Island. He received an Associates Degree in Applied Sciences from Nassau Community College in 1964, followed by service in the U. S. Navy. Upon completing his tour of duty, he resumed his education at the University of Miami, graduating with a Bachelor Degree in Business Administration. James worked in the family's refrigerated warehouse business until it was sold in 1977, then, started his own interior design and lake fountain manufacturing businesses. He is now retired and lives with his wife, in Fernandina Beach, FL

Interview With the Author:

1) Tell us about your book Where Do We Go?


The award-winning book, Where Do We Go?, delicately explores the theme of death in a comforting, child-friendly fashion with reassuring, thought-provoking text and cheerful illustrations. Its non-secular approach compatibly blends with any religious, spiritual or nondenominational framework, opening a pathway for a discussion about the hereafter. Weinsier conceived the book after his tragic loss of three immediate family members over a nine-month period. As he lovingly responded to his young grandchildren’s questions about their loved ones’ fates, the book naturally evolved, becoming an invaluable tool for parents, caregivers and other adults challenged with talking about death with little ones.

2) This is always one of those controversial topics , what are your own thoughts on the topic?

I view death not in a finality sense, or as something to fear. Rather, in the possibilities for new and wondrous beginnings.

3) What gives you the innovation to write a particular genre?

Without professing to be an expert on anything, I attempt to present possibilities for the reader's imagination and consideration.

4) Has your characters or writing been inspired by friends/ family?

Absolutely. Everything I write is inspired by, and as a result of personal experiences with friends and family.

5) Did you experience writers block? If so, what did you do to get rid of it?

No. Not in fear of writer's block, rather, being overwhelmed with a monumental task, I chose to write in a short concise manner. Pretty much everything is one thought. I usually have a good vision of what I want to write before I start, and I'm able to get it down in its entirety. Then, I can embelish to taste.

6) What are you working on now?

A companion 'coloring book' for WDWG (see pic at top of page on right hand side), and another children's book that will present possibilities for making the World a better place - from protecting the environment to getting along with others. I also have a few additional, less developed, ideas in the pending folder.

7) What is your favourite scene in your book?

Magic carpet ride/reindeer sleigh. For me, the 'sky' evokes 'wonder' about what's out there. The same is true about the fire fly scene.

8) Had you previously written anything?

Just my two books of poetry Here...and Afterthoughts (2003) and More...Thoughts (2005) .

9) Were there any scenes that were cut in the editing process you wish had made it into the book?

No. I review all my work countless times, 'til I'm completely satisified.

10) Can you give us one fun fact we might not know about Where Do We Go ? Something about the story itself or the writing process?

Fond memories of my late step son (as a child) scampering around the house and yard, always in cowboy boots and wearing a cape and BIG smile. The dedication page, and impossible dream scene depict reminders I share....

11) How did you get into writing? Did you always want to become a writer?


I first grappled with writing in 1996, when in anticipation of my daughter’s 21st birthday, I decided to give her something unique and straight from the heart. The result was a 100-page journal of special memories we shared written in poetic verse. The manuscript was so well-received I published a 70-page book of thoughts for my father, Here…and Afterthoughts, and gave it to him for his 90th birthday. I continued to write, and three years later I released More…Thoughts. This book contains 199 pages of sentiments commonly shared between parents and their children. I presented it to my father on his 93rd birthday-shortly before his passing.

12) If you were stranded on a desert island, what are three material things you couldn't be without?


My tools, sun screen, and my imagination.

13) What are you reading now?

Frankly, I don't read too much, other than newspapers, and things I can digest in a flash lol.

14) Which author has inspired you most and why?

Shel Silverstein. (I believe) we think much alike.

15) What advice would you give aspiring authors?

Think for yourself. Don't see (rely on) things through someone else's eyes.

16) As a Quotes Person I always like to ask To finish off, do you have a quote or poem that has stuck with you over the years and what is the story behind it?

I'm not sure I'm quoting it word-for-word (so don't hold me to that), "And this too shall pass."

Remember, I'm a senior citizen these days...my middle school Spanish/home room teacher used to put a quote on the chalk board every morning. This one stuck, and has proven to be right-on over all my years.







                                        

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid