Review: The Book Swap - J.E Rowney









Review: The Book Swap - JE Rowney - August 2022

This book captured my attention as I loved the idea of a book swap. I have participated in a couple myself, but tend to prefer the pay-it-forward situations rather than swaps. This also reminded me that I have a box of books that I need to get rid of as well. In this book, we meet Laura who is back living at home with her mother Catherine after her husband Jamie of five years announced he wanted a divorce. This threw her and she ended up spiralling into a small depression, the only thing that has helped is her books. When she gets her latest mystery read, she finds inside a note scrawled "help me". This immediately makes Laura worried and so she sets out to find out who sent her the book and if they need help. During this journey, Laura meets Carley who sent her the book and the two of them travel to a small town called C
ambridge to track down the original owner. This leads them to a husband-and-wife duo called The Wexler's. They both look and seem fine, but the pair know something isn't quite right and so they set out to do some further exploring. What will Laura and Carley find? Can they save the person in need or will they find themselves the ones needing help? Overall, I did enjoy the premise of this book but felt the ending fell flat for me when it was revealed who needed the help. It just felt like a big build-up and then the reveal, was like Ok, this makes sense but no real oomph to the story.   If you love book swaps, scavenger hunts, and mysteries - then this UK fiction is the read for you.

Amazon:
https://amzn.to/3BnVq7s





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid