Top Ten Tuesday : Book Peeves

Well, coming up with Ten for today's Top Ten Tuesday, seems a bit of a mission - so to add more, it will also be aimed at what annoys me in books, e.g authors.

  1. When I go to the library and get a book out and when Im returning books at work and people leave their bits of paper, reciepts etc throughout the book.
  2. When your reading a book and somebody has crossed out certain words - I picked up a book once from the Adult Free Fiction stand at work and it contained the "F" word several times and somebody had crossed out the "F" word everytime it appeared throughout the book.
  3. When customers have books out especially the Large Print and they stamp inside the cover, or initial or even circle a random page number - come on people it's a library book -not your own.
  4. Too much detail- I love my mystery genre and books as much as the next person, but some authors just go on and on and on and it's like "HELLO, where's the exciting part".
  5. First person narrative - Im not too keen on First person narrative as most of the time it's not written well but if It is then Im all for it. E.g The 10pm Question by Kate DeGoldi
  6. Books that win awards - Some are great and deserve the awards but there are plenty again -the title above that wins awards and its like this is the worst book ever and everyone thinks so , so why did it just win ?
  7. Cliff-hanger endings - I hate it when a book ends in a cliffhanger as normally it takes forever to read the next one in the series as A) the authors still writing it or B) waiting for it to go on sale in bookstores or C) the libraries taking forever to purchase it.
  8. Abrupt Endings - Endings that finish like going up a brick wall and you're like - was that it .
  9. Misspelled Words or grammar issues - Its annoying when reading a story and there's A) Spelling mistakes or B) Grammar , Broken sentences etc.
  10. Authors that don't write fast enough - There is nothing worse than reading a series and having to wait yonks and yonks for the next one to hurry up and be released.

Comments

  1. 10 <--- SO TRUE! its torture having to wait for your fav series book to come out!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never seen a book that's been censored by a previous reader before! But if I did I would certainly be irked by it. I don't approve of censoring in general, let alone doing it in books that other people will be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put similar to 4, 8 and 9. First person narrative can work but usually the Author doesn't use it right.

    As for ten... ~cough~ Gayle Forman ~cough~

    Old follower. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't like #7 or #10 because if I'm reading a series and it takes too long to get to the next book, I usually forget the story. Fortunately haven't come across most of the things on your list but they would definitely be annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on waiting for series. I've resolved not to read a series unless it is all finished. Great list. Kaye—the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a librarian, I couldn't agree more with 1, 2, and 3. How can they have the idea that it's their job to "censor" the book? On 10, that's sometimes why I'll wait until all 3 books of a trilogy are out before reading all of them. ;) Or I'll get into a series that's been running for a long time. Old follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goes along with abrupt endings and cliff hangers, but a big pet peeve of mine is serials. Especially when its not clear that it IS a serial until you get to the end and there are all these threads that the author didn't even try to tie up. I try not to buy serials because they're so annoying but when they don't announce it, I sometimes stumble into them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't encountered #2 before either. How thoughtful of the prior reader to take it upon hi self to de die what I should or shouldn't see! Grrr... I'd like to punch them in the brain.

    Good list!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I go to the library and get a book out and when Im returning books at work and people leave their bits of paper, reciepts etc throughout the book.

    Funny, I love finding "remains" (of the non-food variety)...I'm fascinated by ephemera in general. In a library book I just checked out I found a Christmas card :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good answers, stop and see mine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I enjoyed your view on abrupt endings.

    ReplyDelete
  12. cliff hangers are the worst if the author is like your Number 10 answer too! waiting on a cliff: NOT GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ugh, #2 gets to me even though I've never actually seen it happen. I just hate any type of literary censorship.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally agree with most of these. However, I really like finding other people's crap in books. One time I found a birth certificate, and was a bit baffled. Why would you put that in a library book?


    Here is my list: http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday-i-hate-that.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your list of pet peeves. I have a some more. Come see those: Top Ten Picks!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid