Review: Things I Can't Explain - Mitchell Kriegman


Review: Things I Can't Explain - Mitchell Kriegman - November 2015
Growing up I never watched
the TV series Clarissa Explains it All as I was too young as it aired between
ages 4-7 years for me. I had heard about it though as when I got a bit older
Melissa Joan Hart starred in Sabrina and there was lots of talk about her old
series being re-run on TV. Readers, of my blog and reviews will know that
one of my tropes is renditions and reimaginings. Things I Can't Explain is what
Clarissa's life would look like if she was 20-30 years old. I loved this book
as I could imagine myself being in Clarissa's spot. Clarissa had it all and
then she lost it after The Daily Post was closed. One day she is getting coffee
at her usual spot with the CCG ( Cute Coffee Guy) when her parents turn up from
Ohio in the lobby of her old job. One thing leads to another and CCG aka Nick
ends up playing her fake boyfriend for the day. From there, little white lies
start to spill and pile up whereas the real truth is Clarissa's perfect life is
spiraling out of control and she doesn't know what to do exactly. I did love
how things no matter how terrible worked out for Clarissa and I found the
character of Clarissa very relatable to myself. The other part I really loved
is that Clarissa's background is Journalism and with the world of print dying
and student loan debt, it is hard for communication major to find a job which
Mitchell Kriegman showcased very well in the story. It has been a while since
I've read a book with a female character that is easy to relate too and for me
Clarissa was that. Things I Can't Explain also included throughout the
book cute little drawings of diagrams and lists as Clarissa was a list-taker
like myself and I loved this added addition to the story. I would
recommend Things I Can't Explain by Mitchell Kriegman as a read to every
college graduate who have finished their degree and finding it hard to
transition into the real world as you too will relate to Clarissa.





Comments
Post a Comment