Review: The First Day of Spring - Nancy Tucker






The First Day of Spring

Review: The First Day of Spring - Nancy Tucker - May 2021|


This book I had grabbed from Netgalley last year and had forgotten it amongst all my other thousands of books until recently on one of the book groups on Facebook, I belong to had posted a snippet of the first page and OMFG I read it and was like I need to read that book right now and thought before checking the library Libby app, on the off chance I would check my Kindle and there it was. So that instantly became my next read. This was a snipped from the first chapter of the book that captured my attention:
I killed a little boy today. Held my hands around his throat, felt his blood pump hard against my thumbs. He wriggled and kicked and one of his knees caught me in the belly, a sharp lasso of pain. I roared. I squeezed. Sweat made it slippery between our skins but I didn't let go, pressed and pressed until my nails were white. It was easier than I thought it would be.
Sound fantastic right??? In The First Day of Spring, we meet eight-year-old Chrissie who is viewed as the "bad seed" of the town as she kills two-year-old Steven. The book then continues with the town trying to discover who did it and Chrissie loving seeing the police scramble trying to find the killer.  Later Chrissie feels the urge again and this time kills another and finally is caught. The book then flips to the Present time where Chrissie is now known as Julia and living with her daughter Molly and trying to be the best mum she can be. I liked the ending of this book as it explained a lot why Chrissie had killed and I have to admit by the end of the story, I felt for Chrissie and just wished that someone could have seen her pain and that really, she isn't a bad person but just didn't know how to act and handle her thinking. The First Day of Spring is told in two POVs - the Past as Chrissie and the Present as Julia. 

If you love murder and don't mind child killers and children killed, then The First Day of Spring by Nancy Tucker is a book to add to your reading list for 2022.

Amazon:
https://amzn.to/3Hs0FmG







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid