Review: Jailhouse Lawyer - James Patterson and Nancy Allen



 
 
James Patterson – Audio Books, Best Sellers, Author Bio | Audible.com


Jailhouse Lawyer (Ruby Bozarth series)

Review: Jailhouse Lawyer - Ruby Bozarth Series - James Patterson and Nancy Allen - September 2021



As a long-time fan of James Patterson's books ever since I first discovered his books as a teenager, I always make it my goal to at least check out the new ones that are published. This one had been on my list for a few months now.  Writing with Nancy Allen, was a new name for me as I hadn't heard of any other JP books with her as a co-author.  Upon opening the book, my first impression was as I looked at the page numbers that this was quite a long James Patterson book standing at approx. 780 pages. As I got reading Jailhouse Lawyer, we were thrust into the world of new Public Defender Martha Foster who takes a job in a small town in Alabama. We learn that the previous PD committed suicide by hanging. When Martha arrives though, things are very strange and it looks like this town has its own set of court rules and operates with Judge Pickens at the helm. It's his way or no way at all. Martha was a bit of a bulldog at law school and won't take any crap from anyone and so she butts heads with the Judge. What happens though when strange things start happening and Martha finds herself and her son Andy who is sick and only five years old in danger as the judge starts gaslighting her when she steps away from their rules. Can Martha bring the Judge down a notch or will she face his wrath and suffer the same fates as the previous public defenders? Either run out of town or dead? Just as this book was getting good, it ended and I discovered that there was a second story called Power of Attorney. I started to read that thinking it was maybe a sequel to Jailhouse Lawyer - maybe Martha down the track but it turned out to be another story co
mpletely. I have to admit I wasn't keen on this one as it seemed hodge-podge and all over the place as the first main character turns up from the "dead" and then lawyer Leah is back in her hometown after her dad ends up with Alzheimer's and she helps take over from him. The second story is darker than the first and contains strong sexual abuse, trafficking, etc but I found it didn't keep my interest like the first story.  So, readers, if you do pick up this book - beware that it is two unrelated stories of different lawyers from different walks of life, in different situations. I did enjoy it, but not a favorite of mine.

Amazon: https://amzn.to/3vm7rrD




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid