Review: Stillwater Rising - Steena Holmes








Review: Stillwater Rising - Book #1 Stillwater Trilogy - Steena Holmes - November 2014

This series is either a I'll read it or people would avoid it due to the content in the book as currently school shootings and shootings in the US is rife at the moment, so this book hits a bit closer to home for some people. Myself, I have always loved reading the edgier books and school shootings have always fascinated me as I was 11 -12 when the Columbine school shooting happened and for my 13th birthday, my Aunt brought me a copy of the book Rachel's Tears which was the journal based on Rachel Scott - one of the victims from the shooting. In Stillwater Rising, it was similar to a book I had read in the past and it had made me question whether I had already read this one but looking on Goodreads, I hadn't. This book starts in the aftermath of the shooting where parents are grieving their children who were killed by our shooter Gabe Berry - Gabe walked into a primary school one morning and shot 11 students. The school principal Jordan was hailed as a hero but he has a dark secret and it has been eating at him, what happens when the secret is revealed to his wife Charlotte - the mayor of Stillwater? Jennifer is grieving the loss of her son and seeing the news that the school has re-opened has made that wound feel raw again now she is ready to campaign to have the school shut down and then we have Julia - she was the mother of Gabe and is having to live with the consequences of what her son did and is being tormented from the inside and out. Can Julia still be shown that there are people in her small community who don't blame her for what happened? I did love this book as it showed the aftermath by focusing on the smalltown and the families and trying to move forth without focusing on the killers' perspective. I am now looking forward to reading the next two books in the series. Stillwater Rising by Steena Holmes is the perfect read for fans of Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult, The Hate List by Jennifer Brown, and Aftermath by Kelley Armstrong.



Amazon: https://amzn.to/39D7pDs




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid