Review: Impulse - Ellen Hopkins




Impulse (Impulse, #1)


Review: Impulse - Book #1 Impulse Series - Ellen Hopkins - January 2007

If there is one author that every teenager has to read, it is Ellen Hopkins. As someone who grew up in a sheltered family, reading was my eye-opener to the world and during my teen years I had a knack for loving the edgier topics and Ellen Hopkins was the go-to author. Looking at Goodreads, funny enough I read this book 9 years ago - give or take a few days. Back before I had been dedicated to writing reviews on what I read. So here, is a review I should have written 9 years ago but I have to admit reading this book now - I am a different person than I was 9 years ago. 9 years ago, I worked in the library and a job I loved, I was getting ready to go to America for the first time, I was single and my Mum was still alive. I was also 26 years old. Now 9 years later - I am no longer at the library, I have been to America twice, My Mum has passed away, I am in a committed relationship and have brought a house with my partner and I am 34 years old. Impulse is set in a rehab situation where we meet three characters Connor, Tony, and Vanessa - all brought to Aspen Springs as they tried to commit suicide. Each from a different path of life. By the end of this book, two will survive and one will be dead. The other thing that I love about Ellen Hopkins's books is that they may be large sizes but they are written in poetry format aka verse novels which means that the 650-700 page book only takes about 1hr-2hrs to read for the average person, myself it took me approx 1 hr 15mins on Saturday morning whilst lying in bed with my cup of tea.  You are probably wondering why I am re-reading as I have always been a self-proclaimed "not a re-reader" but something sparked me at the end of last year and I decided that for 2022, I would re-read Ellen Hopkins's backlist and see them in a new view. The other thing that rocks are that reading these books is an F-U to the world as they are always on the Banned Book Lists as they aren't seen as PC and even readers love to break a few rules when it comes to reading great books. So if edgy YA is your thing and you want to be a little rebel, then check out Ellen Hopkins's books for 2022.

Amazon: https://amzn.to/3uEPGTC







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid