Review: The Island - Natasha Preston








Review: The Island - Natasha Preston - February 2023

When I saw that Natasha Preston had a new YA novel out, I just knew I had to read it as she is one of my favorites for YA thrillers. I have read most of her backlist, I only have a couple more to go. The Island starts with a familiar theme these days in books, especially since the boom of social media. These days with technology we live in a world of influencers- be it make-up tutorials, gaming, books, crime - all sorts are streaming these days and if you end up hitting the right audience and becoming popular, you can earn a good living too. It also helps if you come from wealthy parents like the influencers do in this book as you can focus all your energy and buy the top equipment needed. There is a new gothic exclusive theme park opening up on the island and six influencers have been invited for a preview weekend before it opens to the public. This is an opportunity of a lifetime as the park will cost $6000 a night per person to stay. All goes well in the beginning as the influencers are welcomed by billionaire Malcolm and his assistant Camilla. That is until the first influencer goes missing and winds up dead, then another and another. There is a serial masked killer on the island and he is determined to cause mayhem and murder. Can Paisley - our crime influencer help save the day with her newfound friends or will she too succumb to death as one by one the people on the island are killed? Who is the killer and why? I have to admit that twist at the end just after the killer's reason was revealed was OMG as I didn't see that coming and then for all those who love the closed endings - this ending isn't for you as it is left open-ended and a NOOOOOOOOOOO scream. I prefer a good solid rounded ending unless you know it will be a cliffhanger as Book #2 is on the way, but The Island isn't one to give me that satisfaction as it left me hanging off the edge of the water. If you love YA thrillers and 90s/2000s slasher films -this is the read for you and I am now looking forward to working backward and reading the ones of Natasha Preston's that I had missed like Awake.


Amazon: https://amzn.to/3RuMzYw






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid