Review: Vinegar Girl - Anne Tyler





See the source image


Vinegar Girl

Review: Vinegar Girl - Anne Tyler - June 2016



Now that I have finished my pile of books from the library, I have decided to finally hit my bookshelf and try to make a dent in clearing it. This is one book, I have had sitting on my shelf since 2016. In 2016, a group of authors joined a project called The Hogarth Project where each author was given one of Shakespeare's plays to write into a modern-day tale. One of my favorite of Shakespeare's stories happens to be "The Taming of the Shrew" and one of my all-time favorite movies is the late 90's/00's hit "10 Thing I Hate about You'. Vinegar Girl by Anne Tyler was not only an amazing cover with its simplicity and flowers which made it striking but a great read. The book starts with our eldest daughter Kate whose father Louis Batista is a scientist at the local university and the youngest daughter Bunny who is 15, in high school, and quite impressionable. Mr. Batista is about to lose another intern as his Visa is coming up to expire and concocts a plan to save his intern Ptoyr. His daughter Kate will marry him. Now if only he can get Kate on board with this crazy idea as Kate isn't exactly the personable type. I enjoyed this book as the characters resembled Shakespeare's originals well and the book was easy to read. This also happened to be the first time I have read a book by Anne Tyler and wasn't sure what to expect. I however enjoyed the pace and her writing style and looking forward to seeing if I can track down the other books in this collection of Shakespeare's renditions.


Amazon: https://amzn.to/3eQlUmV




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid