Review: The History of Hilary Hambrushina - Marnie Lamb


The History of Hilary Hambrushina

Review: The History of Hilary Hambrushina - Marnie Lamb - May 2017

Do you remember what it was like to be heading into High School? Did you ever dream about being one of the popular girls or at least sitting in the popular group? Just being acknowledged by the popular group pushed you up on the High School food chain list.  The History of Hilary Hambrushina is Hilary's version of an autobiography. She is now seventeen years old and decides to write her own story. This part got me thinking what would I write if I was to go back and look at my past. What events would I see as significant? For Hilary, there is one event that stands out to her the most. The summer when she was twelve/thirteen years old. That summer she was supposed to spend time with her best friend Lynn. They were supposed to have the best summer ever and then plan their attack of getting into the popular crowd when they returned to school. The thing is though that Lynn's family ends up heading to California for the summer and a new girl moves into their neighborhood and Hilary befriends her. Kallie is different and quirky, she also pushes Hilary out of her comfort zone, and the two become fast friends. That is until school starts, and Kallie doesn't have the same interest in rising through the school chain to popularity. In fact, she gets the wrong attention from them and becomes a target, and now Hilary must choose which path she wants to take. The story itself was an interesting read and one that portrays the problems that children go through every day in school. It makes you think about your actions and words towards others but also forces you to look at what others do too.  On a personal level, I did find this book a slower read than I am normally used to reading, but I do think that if I were at the age of 16-18+, I probably would have enjoyed it more, but as I am now in my 30's. I wonder if I have bypassed the age where I can read YA books and enjoy them or if I am not at that fussy stage. The History of Hilary Hambrushina by Marnie Lamb is the perfect read for those 16-18 and talks about High School and everything that comes with it from bullying to self-esteem issues and the need/want to be part of the popular group. To be noticed as none of us want to become a target and be one of the left behinds as though people don't admit it , it is something that will stay with you for the rest of your life and may affect you in your workplace and social situations in later life.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Punk 57 - Penelope Douglas

Review: Steel Princess - Rina Kent

Review: Dr. Strange Beard - Penny Reid